Step Up to the TOEFL® iBT is a skills-based textbook designed to address the needs of students who have not yet reached a language level to successfully prepare for the TOEFL® iBT. This volume does what no other textbook does: it helps intermediate-level students take a “step up” toward preparing themselves for the iBT by teaching and developing some of the grammar, vocabulary, and pronunciation skills necessary to do well on the test.
Each of the eight units in Step Up addresses one rhetorical function (ranging from chronology and sequences to developing ideas and paraphrasing) and includes:
- two Grammar You Can Use topics that strengthen students' receptive and productive language
- three Vocabulary You Need sections highlighting common language functions seen on the iBT
- two Speaking Clearly sections that focus on improving comprehensibility and fluent delivery
- skill-building exercises that practice a language point through high-interest reading, writing, listening, and speaking activities
- iBT practice exercises that focus on a language point in ways similar to those on the actual test (including the integrated speaking and writing tasks) but at this intermediate-level of competency
- Step Up Notes with useful hints and tips about improving performance on the iBT